Checking out the IndieWeb again

While not entirely sure I’m holding my mouth right, I’m giving webmentions another try.

2022-05-22
Last modified 2022-06-29

General note: This site’s appearance, configuration, hosting, and other basic considerations will change over time. As a result, certain content on this page could be at variance with what you’re currently seeing on the site, but the two were consistent when this post originally appeared.


Update, 2022‑05‑23: I decided a few hours later to try — emphasis on try — a totally different approach, and thus disabled the Node.js-based webmentions stuff mentioned below. My proposed replacement is still a work in progress at this point. Will tell you more when/if I get it all to work.

As I tweeted earlier:

Gave up on the #IndieWeb thing in 2020; trying again. Different code base this time, so we’ll see if I’ve got everything stitched together properly. 🤔

brycewray.com

brycewray.com
BryceWray.com
Bryce Wray’s website | Observations, opinions, geekiness

I even wrote a five-part series on incorporating webmentions on one’s website back in April, 2020 (e.g., Part I), but a few months later — perhaps due to some uncertainty about how well IndieWeb stuff was jibing with online privacy concerns — dropped them from this site. So, when I decided earlier today to take another go at it, I had to dig back and find all the code from back then. (Thank Git for source-control history!)

Interestingly enough, I found only one line of the early-2020 code that needed adjustment, in webmentions.js:

const fetch = require('node-fetch');

That’s a no-no now, so it had to have a fix I found:

const fetch = (...args) =>
	import('node-fetch').then(({ default: fetch }) => fetch(...args));

At first, that annoyed me but, to be fair, it’s actually not bad: only one line of code from that many months ago didn’t age well. If only I could say the same about most of the other JS I was using back then on one repo or another.

Anyway, I got the site once again connected with webmention.io and Brid.gy for these purposes, as in 2020, and edited my recently instituted GitHub Action so that, in addition to rebuilding the site whenever I push a change to the repo, it does so automatically every eight hours, period. Such is necessary to make this work — that is, assuming I haven’t somehow screwed the pooch in re-assembling this and, thus, rendered it unable to work even if a post went viral and received hundreds of reactions on the social media accounts to which Brid.gy links the site.

One big difference between when I did this in 2020 and now is that, back then, the site had no Content Security Policy in place. Now, it has not only a CSP but a pretty tight one, if I do say so myself, so I’ll be particularly curious to see whether any webmentions I might get will refuse to play nicely with the CSP. Rest assured that, if it comes down to my choosing between webmentions vs. the CSP, the CSP will win that one every time.

I’ll give it a few days and see how things go.

Commenting by giscus.

Next:

Previous: