- Complete list (first page of paginated list; five posts per page)
- Economy of words 2022-07-05
Whatever else happens, you’ll always have this site’s feeds — and I encourage you to use them.
- Using Dart Sass with Hugo: some data on using GitHub Actions 2022-07-05
After encountering some surprising results with my GHA-based method, I decided to do the math.
- The site this week: 2022-07-02
Hugo image processing; a reminder about HugoConf; changing sides in a Holy War.
- The accessibility argument for tabs over spaces 2022-06-30
I changed my position on a developers’ Holy War — because it was the right thing to do.
- HugoConf: a reminder 2022-06-29
The time is nearing for this free event, but you can still get in on the fun.
- Responsive and optimized images with Hugo 2022-06-29
How to take advantage of the amazingly capable image processing built into this SSG.
- The site this week: 2022-06-25
More about iCloud Mail and custom domains; no more numbers; updated writing apps.
- Ulysses 27: a correction 2022-06-22
Haste makes waste, and it also makes for a bad summary, so here are some corrections to what I wrote yesterday about Ulysses 27.
- Major updates to my favorite writing apps 2022-06-21
iA Writer 6 and Ulysses 27 arrive, bearing features their adherents had long requested.
- A goodbye to analytics 2022-06-20
As an unintended side effect of CTCAJW Mode, this site bids a fond farewell to The Numbers.
- Using iCloud Mail with a custom domain: following up 2022-06-19
What happened when I moved my main email address to iCloud Mail.
- The site this week: 2022-06-18
Styling in Hugo; iCloud Mail and custom domains; R.I.P, IE.
- IE’s dead, Jim 2022-06-15
Years after Microsoft told people to stop using Internet Explorer, the hoary browser at last is (mostly) no more.
- Using iCloud Mail with a custom domain 2022-06-13
It took Apple a while to get it (maybe) right — but, it’s “so far, so good” on something announced at last year’s WWDC.
- Sorta scoped styling in Hugo 2022-06-12
Interested in more efficient CSS for your site? Hugo doesn’t make it easy, but here’s a suggested way you might get there.
- The site this week: 2022-06-11
WWDC 2022, Hugo 0.100.x, better static tweets.
- Static tweets in Hugo: an update 2022-06-07
Now!! With new features!! This Hugo shortcode allows you to embed tweets with link “cards.”
- Hugo hits The Hundy 2022-06-07
As Hugo reaches version 0.100.x, the venerable SSG improves upon its handling of shortcodes.
- WWDC 2022 thoughts 2022-06-06
Cheers, “mehs,” and jeers from today’s Keynote at Apple’s latest Worldwide Developers Conference.
- The site this week: 2022-06-04
Saying “Goodbye, IndieWeb” once again, the joy of feeds, and getting Hugo to show Git info and Mastodon content.
- Static Mastodon toots in Hugo 2022-06-03
Just like tweet embeds, toot embeds are best when they’re purely static.
- Get good Git info from Hugo 2022-06-01
It’s easy to fetch and display your Hugo repo’s Git data.
- Fun with feeds 2022-05-30
Cut through the clutter by following various feeds.
- The IndieWeb experiment ends 2022-05-29
My timing wasn’t the greatest.
- The site this week: 2022-05-28
A “just write” commitment, the IndieWeb, some code explainers, and Cloudflare Pages glitches.
- Cloudflare dev docs and the switch from Gatsby back to Hugo 2022-05-27
A few choice paragraphs from a blog post I saw today.
- GHAs on CFP glitch 2022-05-26
What I found out about my deploy-to-site GitHub Action and Cloudflare Pages.
A walkthrough of this site’s all-Hugo, no-JS implementation of webmentions.
- Using Dart Sass with Hugo: back to Node 2022-05-24
The GitHub Actions approach falls short, at least with our chosen host, so the site is now using the Node Sass package.
- Checking out the IndieWeb again 2022-05-22
While not entirely sure I’m holding my mouth right, I’m giving webmentions another try.
- Using Dart Sass with Hugo: the nitty-gritty 2022-05-22
We go under the hood with the installation process for the Embedded Dart Sass binary.
- Simplify, simplify, maybe for real this time 2022-05-21
The site enters CTCAJW Mode.
- Using Dart Sass with Hugo: the GitHub Actions edition 2022-05-17
Still more ways to make Hugo and Embedded Dart Sass work together.
- Gems in the rough #18 2022-05-14
Code for copying code, HugoConf, loose ends.
- Tips for using giscus 2022-05-10
Some advice about a commenting system for static websites.
- Mulling over migration? 2022-05-07
Some tips about moving your website to Astro.
- Gems in the rough #17 2022-04-28
A GitHub Discussions oddity, Netlify Edge Functions, feed readers with built-in browsers.
- The winds of change 2022-04-26
Switching to Astro, or tales of a migratory nerd.
- Is Astro ready for your blog? 2022-04-24
Some points to consider if you’re thinking about switching your site to the Astro platform.
- Static tweets in Astro 2022-04-06
A component which properly embeds tweets when you’re using today’s hottest SSG.
- Let all your devices see your site 2022-04-02
How to make “localhost” slightly less local.
- Simplify, simplify (again) 2022-03-22
As I was saying over a year ago before I was so rudely interrupted by life . . .
- Gems in the rough #16 2022-03-11
Eleventy 2.x (yes, already), trying giscus, another shameless plug.
- Using Dart Sass with Hugo: the sequel 2022-03-09
Hugo’s chief developer comes up with a way to get Embedded Dart Sass on the host, after all.
- Using Dart Sass with Hugo 2022-03-08
Until hosts allow Embedded Dart Sass in their build processes, here’s a not-too-hacky workaround for Sass-on-Hugo fans.
- Making Tailwind JIT work with Hugo, the Version 3 edition 2022-03-06
A Hugo fix for Tailwind CSS v.3 — with a surprise bonus.
- Gems in the rough #15 2022-03-03
CFP Fast Builds update, Hugo/goldmark typography, another Tailwind-on-Hugo solution.
- Shameless plug time 2022-02-24
A few words about my new Hugo-related article for the CloudCannon blog.
- Gems in the rough #14 2022-02-18
Full-time Eleventy, variables in Hugo, learning from a nice tweet, using web fonts with internal CSS.
- Static tweets in Eleventy and Hugo: Part 2 2022-02-11
Using Twitter’s preferred API to embed static tweets.
- Static tweets in Eleventy and Hugo 2022-02-07
How to embed tweets while still protecting your visitors’ privacy.
- Thinking about syncing 2022-02-04
Some opinions I’ve formed while doing a semi-deep dive into cloud sync on macOS.
- Fetching remote images with Eleventy 2022-01-25
- Should you adopt Tailwind 3? 2022-01-12
Tailwind is making too much progress to ignore. Is it time to check out the latest version?
- Gems in the rough #13 2022-01-04
Why I’ve recently backtracked on configurations for CSS and image-handling.
- Retrospective: 2021 2021-12-29
Reflections on some of the items discussed here in the outgoing year.
- Gems in the rough #12 2021-12-26
Speedier CFP builds, HTML sitemaps.
- Fetching remote stuff with Hugo 0.90+ 2021-12-11
It’s a marriage made in heaven: the Cloudinary free tier and Hugo Pipes’ new ability to grab remote items.
An example of how you could use Hugo’s phenomenally fast, built-in bundling capabilities.
- Mixed nuts #10 2021-11-26
A few things currently on my so-called mind.
- Go big or Go home? The sequel 2021-11-23
After a “D’oh!” moment, I refine a bespoke Hugo shortcode.
- Gems in the rough #11 2021-11-19
Dueling announcements, CSP-allowed CSS, fun with LQIPs.
- Curmudgeonish thoughts for 2021 2021-11-09
Another year, another grievances list.
- Making Tailwind JIT work with Hugo 2021-11-01
What to do until Tailwind CSS’s JIT mode works OoTB with Hugo.
- My website and Cloudflare, a year later 2021-10-22
It’s perhaps not so much “love/hate” as it is geeky curiosity combined with an old guy’s impatience.
- “New Outlook” ends an old aggravation for Mac users 2021-10-11
For Mac users who must use Outlook, its Electron-based version brings some long-overdue feature parity.
- Gems in the rough #10 2021-10-01
A (perhaps) surprising requirement for native lazy-loading, the Slinkity project, problems with Cloudflare Pages.
- Taming time-based one-time passwords (TOTPs) 2021-09-20
A few tips on managing multi-factor authentication — specifically, TOTPs.
Seeking a non-JS nav menu for use with Tailwind? So was I. Here’s the resulting code.
- Beginner’s luck #5: suspended starters 2021-09-11
That’s a wrap on further development of my SSG starter sets.
- Reply-to links in site feeds 2021-09-09
Thanks to a reader’s helpful advice, here’s how to enhance the code for your site’s RSS and JSON feeds.
- Gems in the rough #9 2021-09-05
Better video embeds, CFP improvements, “passtro” on Astro.
- Transition 2021-09-03
Yep, forty-plus years will do.
- Mixed nuts #9 2021-08-29
Takes that are neither hot nor cool — in multiple ways.
- 1Password hits the fan 2021-08-14
An Electron-ic firestorm: a follow-up to my earlier article about password management.
- Boy, oh, grandboy 2021-08-11
A few words about the arrival of grandchild #2.
- Down with flabby fonts 2021-08-08
How to subset large web font files to improve your site’s performance.
- Gems in the rough #8 2021-08-04
Checking out Astro; comparing vendors.
- Beginner’s luck #4: the Vite edition 2021-07-25
Now I have an Eleventy/Vite starter, and here’s some of the code that makes it go.
- Eleventy plus Vite = elite 2021-07-24
Re-bundling, but without the pain of webpack.
- Gems in the rough #7 2021-07-17
Static site generator fans, here’s another (sorta) brief set of goodies for your edification.
- Better notifications in the Preside email app 2021-07-03
How to use MailMate with Preside for quick and audible email notifications on your iOS devices.
- Beginner’s luck #3: adding a Zola starter 2021-06-25
For those interested in a (somewhat) easy take on Hugo, here’s a starter set for you.
- Gems in the rough #6 2021-06-21
Hiding “future” posts in Eleventy, life with Vercel (nearly) a year later, and other items that may interest static site generator users.
- Two paths to password management 2021-06-15
Ways to practice superior cybersecurity.
- Mixed nuts • June, 2021 2021-06-11
The latest set of “takes” that don’t all fit in any one category.
- Gems in the rough #5 2021-05-30
More notes, notions, and nitpicks about managing one’s personal website.
- Help your website get discovered 2021-05-14
A few suggestions for getting your website the attention it deserves.
- Trying Mark Text for website content 2021-05-07
A free, cross-platform text editor for (maybe) managing your site’s content.
- Headers up 2021-05-01
Here’s a Cloudflare Worker for handling headers with Cloudflare Pages.
- Using Eleventy’s official image plugin 2021-04-17
The what, why, and how of Eleventy Image.
- Gems in the rough #4 2021-04-09
Here a drib, there a drab, everywhere a drib-drab of web dev miscellany.
- Speaking up for Sass 2021-04-03
It may not be This Week’s Kewl Thing, but Sass/SCSS is still an invaluable part of web development.
- Beginner’s luck: an update 2021-03-25
The inventory has grown, so here’s what I currently offer for those interested in Eleventy and Hugo.
- Tailwind-to-head with Eleventy 2021-03-20
This follow-up to an earlier article about Hugo Pipes shows how to get internal CSS in an Eleventy site — and with no build tools required.
- JIT is a game-changer for Tailwind CSS 2021-03-19
Why Tailwind’s new capabilities will give it even more momentum among web developers.
- Next steps? 2021-03-11
Some things I’ve learned while tinkering with Next.js.
- Gems in the rough #3 2021-03-06
The latest installment of unrequested advice about tinkering with websites.
- New in Hugo: easier writing 2021-02-27
How Hugo 0.81.0 lets me do more in Markdown.
- Mixed nuts • February, 2021 2021-02-13
No brain cells were even used, much less harmed, in the production of this post.
- Go big or Go home? 2021-02-10
How some image-handling code moved from Eleventy to Hugo.
- Simplify, simplify 2021-02-06
A Thoreau-ly fine website, or the result of choosing between simplicity and FOMO.
- Tailwind-to-head with Hugo Pipes 2021-02-02
If your website draws that “render-blocking resource” gripe during tests, here’s one method for fighting it.
- Leaner and cleaner 2021-01-31
After I remind myself of this site’s original, spartan appearance, changes result.
- Beta-testing Cloudflare Pages 2021-01-27
I take a look at a new, possibly game-changing website-hosting platform and find some early glitchiness, but also plenty of potential.
- Gems in the rough #2 2021-01-16
More geeky hints for SSG fans.
- Easy-peasy 2021-01-03
A theoretical conversation about building static websites.
- Through with 2020 2020-12-30
What I talked about while the world burned.
- Eleventy and Hugo: comparing and contrasting 2020-12-28
Trying to choose between the two best static site generators? See if these points address your personal hot buttons.
- Gems in the rough 2020-12-21
I learned these the hard way; perhaps you won’t have to do the same.
- Hashing out a cache-busting fix for Eleventy 2020-12-15
Some of the code behind my previous post.
- Cache-busting in Eleventy, take two 2020-12-11
This time, a solution that really (?) works.
- Fast but flawed 2020-11-25
Two more static website hosts to consider (maybe).
- What Apple Silicon means for web developers 2020-11-20
As Apple takes the Mac to the final frontier, here’s what web devs should consider.
- Using PostCSS for cache-busting in Eleventy 2020-11-10
Optimizing how browsers handle your site’s CSS, and why you should care about that.
- Mixed nuts • November, 2020 2020-11-07
Follow my erratic mind, if you dare, as it proves anew that it deserves that adjective.
- Curmudgeonish thoughts for 2020 2020-11-01
Pet peeves seem tiny at a time like this, but I have them nonetheless.
- Conversation piece 2020-10-13
Commenting options for your static website.
- Forward PaaS 2020-10-11
Testing the waters on Cloudflare Workers and KV storage — an up-and-coming platform-as-a-service (PaaS) offering.
- Ignition sequence start 2020-09-27
GitHub Actions to deploy to Firebase Hosting.
- A normal person’s guide to static website hosting 2020-09-26
After suggesting how a non-geek could most easily have a website, I now offer thoughts on the site’s hosting.
- A normal person’s guide to static websites 2020-09-22
Want to have a website of your own but having trouble figuring out how to proceed? Here’s some help.
- Two, but not terrible 2020-09-15
“Reminiscin’” as this site celebrates its second birthday.
- Goodbye and hello • Part 5 2020-09-09
Two embarrassments: another site move and the reason behind it.
- Goodbye and hello • Part 4 2020-09-05
My curiosity overcomes me and, yet again, I move the site.
- Mixed nuts • September, 2020 2020-09-03
Once more into the breach, dear friends, with assorted somethings-or-others.
- Goodbye and hello • Part 3 2020-08-21
Performance is a heckuva drug: earlier considerations aside, I move the site to Vercel for a second time.
- Freeing your folders 2020-08-16
How Mac users can remove items from iCloud Drive without seemingly interminable downloads.
- Good stuff without Google 2020-08-09
How your website can still have the coolness of variable typefaces, but without Google’s tracking.
- Google Fonts and privacy 2020-08-08
- Posting with Ulysses 2020-08-04
Still a nicer editor, but not truly SSG-friendly.
- Goodbye and hello • Part 2 2020-07-31
Why I decided to come back to Netlify.
- Transformed 2020-07-31
The move to Cloudinary.
- Beginner’s luck 2020-07-27
Helping more people get going with Eleventy and Hugo.
- Chasing 100: tips for optimizing your website 2020-07-16
It takes work, but making your website better is worth it.
- Mixed nuts • July, 2020 2020-07-09
Another successful lowering of the bar where observations’ cleverness is concerned.
- Stacks and stacks 2020-07-05
Comparing the site’s “tech stacks,” one year apart.
- Goodbye and hello 2020-07-02
Moving from Netlify to Vercel: how this site gained a new home.
- O say can you CI/CD? 2020-06-28
A way around the Netlify free-tier build limit.
- Fathom Analytics: count on it 2020-06-19
How to count visitors while protecting them — and yourself.
- Why I kept Ulysses 2020-06-07
Renewing the subscription for another year.
- A thousand words, indeed 2020-05-22
Feelings about look-and-feel: how and why “hero images” have returned to this site.
- Mixed nuts • May, 2020 2020-05-16
Updates, uptakes, follow-ups, and foul-ups — not necessarily in that order.
- Battle of the iOS email heavyweights 2020-05-14
AltaMail vs. Preside: there’s no MailMate for iOS, but these try to play in the same ballpark.
- Going solo with Eleventy 2020-05-09
Losing webpack, regaining Tailwind CSS.
- Webmentions in three SSGs: Part 5 2020-04-28
Conclusion of a five-part series about incorporating the IndieWeb into three different static site generators (SSGs).
- Webmentions in three SSGs: Part 4 2020-04-28
Part 4 of a five-part series about incorporating the IndieWeb into three different static site generators (SSGs) — in this case, Gatsby.
- Webmentions in three SSGs: Part 3 2020-04-28
Part 3 of a five-part series about incorporating the IndieWeb into three different static site generators (SSGs) — in this case, Hugo.
- Webmentions in three SSGs: Part 2 2020-04-28
Part 2 of a five-part series about incorporating the IndieWeb into three different static site generators (SSGs) — in this case, Eleventy.
- Webmentions in three SSGs: Part 1 2020-04-28
The intro to a five-part series about incorporating webmentions into three different static site generators (SSGs).
- Murdered darlings 2020-04-22
R.I.P., WIP: a farewell to this site’s original purpose.
- The full .11ty.js monty 2020-04-15
- Different modes for different code 2020-04-05
I tread familiar ground as I provide versions of this site in its two previous SSGs.
- Back to Nunjucks for my Eleventy site 2020-03-22
- Coherence and COVID–19 2020-03-21
What one thinks when “Well, that escalated quickly” becomes a gross understatement.
- Some Sirius(XM) thoughts 2020-03-15
Radio, and more, from on high.
- Welcome, sweet little early bird 2020-03-10
The new grandchild arrives, and on her own timeline.
- YouTube TV and the RSNs flap 2020-02-28
A tale of shrinking options for cord-cutters who love TV sports.
- Mixed nuts • February, 2020 2020-02-09
Another sampling of my random thoughts — lucky you.
- So much for heroes 2020-02-01
A few days of dithering over images leads to a clean break.
- Streamers’ party 2020-01-18
I finally jump off the sinking ship that is cable television — while also regaling you with tales of yesteryear.
- Two cheers for Tailwind 2020-01-12
Trying to decide what I think about utility-first CSS.
- Sorta StranGe (SSG) trip 2019-12-27
Recapping “the dance” and what it taught me.
- “Previous” and “next” in Eleventy 2019-12-23
A brief description of code that easily enables this oft-requested feature.
- Code comfort: Eleventy and webpack 2019-12-14
Some words about my Eleventy/webpack configuration.
- Packing up 2019-12-08
Eleventy and webpack are a powerful pair.
- Mixed nuts • November, 2019 2019-11-24
Observations worth exactly what you’re paying for them.
- Some curmudgeonish thoughts, 2019 edition 2019-11-03
Here’s a follow-up on last year’s list of items that stick in my craw.
- Now I’m a Gatsby geezer 2019-10-27
Project Purple isn’t over, but today is worth celebrating.
- Picture perfect? 2019-10-20
With SSGs and images, it’s “location, location, location.”
- OTOH 2019-10-11
One shouldn’t make decisions out of spite. I’m living proof.
- It’s about the food, not the decor 2019-10-02
Thoughts about my recent emphasis on switching between SSGs.
- Thinking dark thoughts 2019-09-29
As Dark Mode grows in use, it’s easy to make your site dark-friendly.
- Back with Hugo 2019-09-20
Even for me, this switcheroo was quick, as the prodigal comes crawling back to Hugo.
- Why I left Hugo for Eleventy 2019-09-08
Only weeks after telling you I was sticking with Hugo, I switch to Eleventy: the whys and wherefores.
- Now I’m sixty-four 2019-09-06
Having reached this milestone-of-sorts, I offer some different wording for a Lennon/McCartney classic that suits me today.
- Backtracking to Big G 2019-08-25
I admit it: I get too much utility from the myriad of Google services to pass them up, my privacy be damned.
- Scrivener and The Cloud 2019-08-18
When even Ars Technica’s forum users can’t keep this straight, intervention is necessary.
- Make games, not war 2019-08-03
I take a break from my “techy” stuff to opine on more logical layouts for Major League Baseball and the National Football League.
- Roger, Copy 2019-07-27
How I now keep my site files “synced” across my devices — via Git and Working Copy.
- Lessons learned 2019-07-21
During my ill-fated (and ultimately wrong-headed) attempt to convert this site from Hugo to Gatsby, I learned a few interesting things.
- Why I’m staying with Hugo 2019-07-14
After experimenting for a few weeks with Gatsby and a few other trendy SSGs, I realize just how good I have it with Hugo.
- Independence 2019-07-06
Thirty-five years ago this week, I encountered a Mac for the first time, and it literally changed my life.
- Ahoy, ’Mate 2019-06-08
My last post notwithstanding, “the geek’s prerogative” makes it okay to try other email apps — like MailMate.
- The Holy Mail 2019-05-10
The way I sort-of cured the email client dance.
- Boxed in? 2019-05-04
A revisiting of the whole Ulysses matter — after I learned some more about “shoebox” apps in general.
- Why I left Ulysses 2019-04-20
Just months after proclaiming my allegiance to the Ulysses writing app, I’ve chosen to abandon it in favor of iA Writer.
- Publish or perish 2019-04-11
In a previous post, I told you how to create a Hugo-based site; now, here’s how to publish it — for free.
- Ec-static 2019-04-07
Some tips for ordinary non-geeks on using the Hugo static site generator to create and maintain their own websites.
- Mark it down 2019-03-08
Markdown: how to have that plain-text cake and still eat it with formatting intact.
- Plain truth 2019-03-02
Prose needn’t be deathless to survive.
- Back up, Jack 2019-02-23
Some observations on good backup practices, notably the 4-2-2 approach I’m now using.
- Old dog learns old trick 2019-02-16
A major “Do’h” moment in the never-ending battle against Internet Explorer.
- iA for IO? 2019-02-03
A re-consideration of using iA Writer in making Markdown files for this site’s posts.
- Blox sux 2019-01-19
Some highly uncomplimentary words about WordPress page builders.
- On Edge 2018-12-07
Microsoft’s decision about Edge is important on many levels.
- Grid-locked no more 2018-11-28
While I still think using frameworks is OK, I decided the best way to learn CSS Grid was to use it.
- Getting framed 2018-11-14
Reasons why one might still want to use a CSS framework.
- Some curmudgeonish thoughts 2018-11-01
“Didja ever notice…?” Yes, I did. And here’s the result.
- A stacked deck 2018-10-25
Part 2 of a two-part series on web typography.
- Readable web text, pretty please 2018-10-17
Part 1 of a two-part series on web typography.
- The client is too smart for you 2018-10-11
Pretty emails don’t work so well in an Outlook-centric business world.
- The version-control follies 2018-10-06
Why you should go GUI with version control.
- Why I finally settled on Ulysses 2018-09-22
How I came to realize why one particular creative writing app was a better fit for me as compared to its chief rival.
- HardyPress: WP + SSG with a twist 2018-09-15
Here’s a brief look at an interesting way to have your WordPress cake and eat your SSG site, too — or something like that.
Uses DuckDuckGo. Results open in a new tab/window.